From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman@yahoo.com>
Subject: (whorl) Pajaro Cu and Hyacinthos
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 14:47:13

Hi!  I'm new to this list, and trying to start out
with
some useful information before I get to the unfounded
speculation.  I've looked at most of the latest
archive and didn't see either of the following.

The "pajarocu" in Wijzer's story is apparently the
"Pájaro Cú", which might be translated "Coo Bird", of
Latin American folklore.  I doubt it has much to do
with "pajarraco".  I have a Mexican textbook with the
words of a popular song about the Pajaro Cu (in case
the accents aren't coming out) that has some distant
resemblances to Wijzer's story.  Do people want to see
it, with a translation, which will be a good exercise
for me?  E-mail me at this address; I'll send the
lyrics to you personally or to the list, depending on
how much interest there is.

Anyway, if anyone's been wondering about the
pronunciation, "Pajarocu" is undoubtedly accented on
the first and last syllables.

I suspect more strongly that someone posted this at
some time, but the myth of Hyacinthus (or Huakinthos
or whatever you like) has to do with death and sort-of
resurrection.  You can find a version from _Bulfinch's
Mythology_ at
<http://www.loggia.com/myth/hyacinthus.html>, or one
with more information at
<http://hsa.brown.edu/~maicar/Hyacinthus1.html> in
valiant but not native English.

I've been learning a lot from you folks in the archive
and look forward to participating in the list!

Jerry Friedman