From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman@yahoo.com>
Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v012.n129
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:15:18

> From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Pajaro Cu
> Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 12:30:19 -0700 (PDT)
> en su preciosa gorjear:

Sorry, should be "precioso".

> The "piru", much used in Mexican traditional
> medicine and witchcraft, appears to be _Schinus
> molle_...

Or maybe another tree of the genus Schinus.

To answer Rostrum (Yahoo truncated the digest
message),
part of the point of the folk-tale is to explain bird
behavior.  The song I posted explains why the owl says
"ticu-ticu" (and there may be a Spanish pun here, but
I couldn't get my teacher to commit himself on the
subject); Wijzer's version explains both why the owl
says "cu" and why the "snake-eater bird" is silent.
And it explains why you might name an invisible town
Pajarocu.  If there's anything else, I'm missing it.

Jerry