From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis@siriusfiction.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Cilinia's mausoleum
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:52:23

I wrote:
>Jerry Friedman wrote:
>
>>(Chap. 19, a mausoleum [apparently not Severian's
>>hideout] in the necropolis
>
>Ah, this has been established (or otherwise achieved consensual validity in
>excess of 51%)?  I hadn't known, I must have missed that . . . it poses a
>leap I cannot follow.

Nevermind.  I withdraw the statement/question.

OTOH, it does lead to an interesting notion: what if, instead of a FAQ
about a book/series/story, what if there was a position tabulation, sort of
like a voting ballet, showing broad points ("Participants like the piece"
xx%; "Respondents dislike the piece" xx%), then medium points, down to fine
detail points?

It would be a digested digest, I suppose.  A tallying person would read
through the thread, picking out the various points of concensus and
contention, then use these to create the ballot.  Rather like making an
index, in a way.  The ballot could then be voted on afresh, or the
percentages could just be filled in based on how the discussion seemed to
go in the original.

At the end of this there would be these handly little one-page summaries of
where everybody has been and which sides they were on.  Like a busload of
tourists posing for a snapshot.

That would be something!

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction