From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: (whorl) A Mania for Conversations
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:48:00

Horn's statement about having a mania for recording coversations struck me
as a key insight into Wolfe's writing.  Could it be that Wolfe's eliptical
style is largely based on a preference for writing conversations rather
than describing actions?  I'd have to do some more reading with this idea
in mind, but I have the impression that quite a lot of the gaps in Wolfe's
narratives come when a conversation is interrupted by some event, and we
skip the event for another conversation in which someone may or may not
describe or allude to the event itself.

-Rostrum