From: "Steve Strickland" <SSTRICKLAND@satx.rr.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) A Mania for Conversations
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:53:06

I took Horn's statement as a bit of self-deprecating humor on the part of
Mr. Wolfe.  No doubt as a result of the extensive narrative sections in the
latter volumes of Long Sun, Wolfe received more than a few comments like,
"Can't you write anything but dialogue?" or "Can't you pepper the dialogue
with a little more description?" (And I'm sure he received less critical
observations regarding the same.)

As I see it, Horn's statement is Wolfe's playful nod to the critics (while
playfully placing the blame on the narrator-character, Horn.)

Very cute.

Imperator