From: Alex David Groce <Alex_Groce@gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Fallible Narrators and Even More Fallible Copyists: a Textual Con sideration of the "Book of Silk" (a tangent)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:39:26

Nutria wrote:

>          FWIW, this is exactly and precisely what Roman Catholic James
> Blish does in his classic *A Case of Conscience.* Wolfe shares
> Blish's Thomism. Blish provides both a "nature" version of the
> story, and a "grace" version of the story, and only the "eye of
> faith" can see which version is the more "ultimate" explanation of
> events. It would not surprise me if Wolfe, who certainly knows
> Blish's work, would do the same thing.

Blish was Catholic?  Somehow I'd gotten the impression he was, at some
point, an atheist and at another point (I forget the ordering) an
Anglican, and that heresies and theology were to a large extent more a
hobby to him than a matter of faith.  Was I off-base?  Google doesn't
quickly confirm either hypothesis for me.

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32