From: "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <ddanehy@siebel.com>
Subject: RE: (whorl) Fan fic? Fooey.
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:23:45

William Ansley wrote:

> ... I have been reading SF/F for over 35 years now but I have
> always kept my distance from any "fannish" activities.

William, William, William... I don't know how to tell you this,
but this list is a fannish activity, or, as they used to say
-- do they still? -- "fanac."

Granted, it's the kind of fanac that isn't usually referred to
as "fannish," but only because within fandom "fannish" was (is?)
generally used in contrast to "sercon," short for "serious and
constructive," where "fannish" was more the "partying with a few
thousand of your closest friends" sort of thing.

Much of the traffic on this list tends toward the sercon, but
it's all fannish in the larger sense.

--Blattid