From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@ungames.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: Fan fic Fooey?  Fooey
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:36:50

At 09:46 PM 6/20/01 -0500, Adam wrote:
>To go even further afield,
>it occurs to me to wonder if there is any evidence that people of the time
>saw things that way--that the attributed author was merely a convention,
>making no claim about the real author.)

In my classical readings, I've come across references to pseudipigraphia
which are outside of the Jewish and Christian traditions--much later works
attributed to Virgil and suchlike. Heck, think of Plato--he wrote dozens of
books which put his own thoughts in the mouth of Sophocles.

--
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney@ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction