From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: (whorl) First time poster & thoughts on Scylla
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:29:26

--- Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy@siebel.com> wrote:
> Welcome Peacefrog.

What he said.

> I think it may be time for another pass through the Books of the [Foo]
> Sun,
> or at least Short, with the specific goal of observing _everything_ that
>
> _anyone_ prays for (at least to the Increate a/k/a the Outsider) ... I
> should not be at all surprised to discover that people invariably get
> what
> they pray for (though generally in an unexpected and perhaps
> difficult-to-
> recognize form). As a side topic, I should also not be surprised to
> learn
> that Horn keeps _every_ promise he makes to anyone along the way.
> (Again,
> generally in an unexpected etc.)

And I wouldn't be surprised to learn that every prophecy ever made comes
true.  (Though in the _Long Sun_, there's a point where Incus thinks
Scylla has possessed Chenille again, but he's wrong.)

All this could be interpreted as evidence of the texts' reflecting the
narrators' imaginations more than any "real" events.  On the other hand,
it can be seen as reinforcing the plausibility of the narrative; maybe
every guess the narrators make is right (in fact, an "inspired guess").

--
Jerry Friedman