From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Short Sun. new user - spoiler-ish
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:44:01

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Tony West wrote:

> At the beginning of Return to the Whorl, Horn/Silk is cared for by a couple
> near Silk's old residence (manse?)... what are the common ideas about who
> they are?  The man's sudden (violent) reaction to Horn/Silk at the end of
> their encounter is quite odd and implies a lot more than is apparent
> (surprise there).  I'm sure I've overlooked something of critical
> importance, but I'll go out on a limb and ask for your ideas...

They're pretty poor, and the old man didn't seem too happy that his wife
was sharing with Silk.  My impression was that he was afraid Silk would
try to sneak back and steal from them, that this was a sign of how much
society had broken down with the sun failing.

(I take it Silk won't have to go all the way to Yesod to get the Long Sun
working again?)

I guess it's also possible they knew Silk and Hyacinth when they were
living nearby and have some grudge against Silk.  Or that they recognize
him as Calde Silk and have some grudge against him because of his policies
or whatever.

-Rostrum