From: Dan Rabin <danrabin@a.crl.com>
Subject: (urth) The Canocentric Exegesis of Wolfe's `Tracking Song'
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 20:04:43

This theory of David Lebling's is quite intriguing!

Here are a couple more resonances:

1.  The `lost dog finding its way home' motif resonates with the perception
of death among some Christians as `going home to one's Maker'.

2.  The winged beings as beyond-humans resonate with Wolfe's own
Hierogrammates, shaped by humans according to human ideals (`united,
compassionate, just') never actually achieved by the human race itself.

I can't quite draw an exact analogy, but I'm always willing to believe that
Wolfe often works impressionistically rather than with exacting exactness.
I think he's willing to deviate slightly from his clever constructs in
order to deliver a haunting image or a well-timed surprise.

  -- Dan Rabin

<--prev V7 next-->