From: m.driussi@genie.geis.com
Subject: Re: (urth) Urth syllabus
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 98 14:09:00 GMT

Reply:  Item #2062352 from URTH@LISTS.BEST.COM@INTERNET#

William Ansley,

Re: Mervyn Peake, Gene Wolfe has mentioned Peake's trilogy, saying
words to the effect that there was a bit of Steerpike to Severian . .
. hmmm, I can't find that line, but here is one from an interview of
Wolfe by Roert Frazier that ran in "Thrust No. 19" (1983):

"You didn't mention Peake's Gormenghast series, but I have read them
too, and I suspect TBOTNS is more like them than it is like [C.S.] Lewis'
work, or Tolkien's" (p. 8).

Re: Lewis Carroll, right, the consensus seems to be: As Borges is to
Master Ultan, so is Lewis Carroll to Father Inire.

Re: Kipling, I would use stories from The Jungle Books in examining
tales from the brown book--I have done so in the essay on the brown
book in NYRSF (Feb. 1993).