From: Kieran Mullen <kieran@phyast.nhn.ou.edu>
Subject: (urth) Re:  Digest urth.v018.n007
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 00:31:49

Peter Grimes <grimes@waste.org> writes:

>Ugh, I just can't let this go by unremarked.  Illuminatus is garbage
>writing...       [Stuff
>                    Deleted]                 ....  Robert Anton Wilson and
>his co-conspirator are just not terribly good writers.

   Very well put and very true.  It is painful to see Wolfe and Wilson
compared.

>So what if Foucault kills the conspiracy at the end?  That's more or
>less the point of the book.  Its about how an obsession with conspiracy
>leads someone to see them everywhere and in fact contributes to their
>creation.

   I think FP suffers from poor editing.  Eco was too big a writer to have
his prose altered, I suspect.  You could cut a fair bit of the middle bit
out.

   That said, it's a brilliant criticism of Postmodernism, and a wonderful
book.  The fact that there _is_ a supernatural reality (evidenced by the
ectoplasm manifested in the church) is a oft overlooked sly twist.

               Kieran Mullen