From: raster@highfiber.com (Charles Dye)
Subject: Re: (urth) Musings on the Hierodule fieldguide
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:30:54

William Ansley writes:

> [quoting mantis]
>>Happily, Inire seems to be just enamoured by little exultantesses, and there
>>is no evidence of his actually molesting them. Boy, wouldn't that be an
>>embarassment to the reign of the Autarch Severian.
>
>I certainly hope no one reading this list thinks that Charles Lutwidge
>Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) molested any children. He didn't. He also wasn't a
>child pornographer - mantis was joking (I hope).

In fact, Inire seems decidedly un-Carrollian in the "Father Inire's Mirrors"
episode.  He takes Domnina away without her parents' permission; he
frightens her; his explanations seem to confuse rather than educate.
He speaks general relativity, rather than charming nonsense.

Still, the connection is definitely there.  Mirrors and little girls.  And
notice how coyly Father Inire drops the name "pleasance?"

raster@highfiber.com