From: CRCulver@aol.com
Subject: Re:  (urth) Eclipse question
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 21:58:44 EDT

Marc wrote:
<OK, the "obvious" guess for what caused Apu-Punchau's eclipse
is the ship.  But, why would Tzadkiel bother to help Severian
in such a situation?>

I don't think it was just Tzadkiel. Severian did have some friends on the
ship, especially Gunnie. And perhaps the sailors wanted to repay him for the
help in the fight against the muties. And there is always Famulimus, Ossipago,
and Barbatus...

<On an unrelated not, it seems clear that Pas is the avatar of
Typhon/Piaton (unless there are other two-headed all-powerful
monarchs floating around capable of building generation ships).
But Pas seems to be a mostly benevolent figure, at least compared to Echidna,
Scylla, etc...  Whereas, Typhon was clearly a bastard...
Guess you'd have to chalk that one up to programmer's error, heh.>

Scylla mentions that the builder of the Whorl was Typhon the First, but not
necessarily the Typhon of the Conciliator era. As a matter of fact, I'm
uncovering more daily that Pas is not Severian's Typhon, but I shall post
those conclusions to the Whorl list when I am ready.

Christopher R. Culver <crculver@aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html