From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@crossover.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: GURPS BOTNS
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:49:33

At 12:24 AM 11/20/98 GMT, Mantis wrote:
>Those on a tight budget could probably squeek by with the "Pyramid"
>article and Metagaming's "The Fantasy Trip" (1980), or just "Melee"
>and "Wizard" (1977).

Actually, at this point, it would probably be cheaper to buy _Gurps: Basic
Set_ than _Melee_ and _Wizard_....

I'm sorry to hear that _GURPS: New Sun_ got pocket-vetoed by SJGames. I
certainly would have bought one, and I've never played GURPS in my life.
(GURPS sourcebooks are generally done as labors of love, and they're
immensely useful as research guides to, say, ancient Egypt, Imperial Rome,
the Crusades, etc. I have half-a-dozen of them, and should probably get
more; _GURPS: Arabian Nights_ has the only lucid explanation of classical
Arabic names I've ever read, and was of immense help when I was writing the
second edition of Eric Goldberg's _Tales of the Arabian Nights_ game.)

Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney@crossover.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html