From: CRCulver@aol.com
Subject: (urth) Two Wolfe Comments
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 06:58:30 EST

1) I don't know the origin of the word "Madregot" (the name of the Brook
beyond Briah), but perhaps it is related to the Spanish word "Madrugada,"
which means "dawn." This seems to fit, being another example of the solar
motif which is predominant in the Book of the New Sun. Maybe Mantis could
clear this up.

2) We've discussed before the influence of T.S. Eliot on Wolfe, particularly
from "The Waste Lands." However, the poem "The Love Song of J. Alfred
Prufrock," also by Eliot seems to be an inspiration for _Peace_. The narrator
of "Prufrock" is an elderly gentleman who is looking back on his life, and the
message is that old age is basically a living death. However, I've always
favoured the notion that maybe Prufrock is actually dead, as Weer is.
For those interested, the J. Alfred Prufrock Company, www.prufrock.org, has
the poem on their website, where it can be viewed for free (under "Poem").
However, the rest of the site is retail tripe.

Cheers,

Christopher R. Culver <crculver@aol.com>
President Pro-Tempore of USEJ
Prezidanto Dumtempa de USEJ