From: Damien Broderick <d.broderick@english.unimelb.edu.au>
Subject: Re: (urth) modernism
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:47:22 +0000

At 01:59 PM 26/10/99 -0700, Daniel Fusch <dfusch@hotmail.com> wrote:

>There are science fiction writers who are modernist (Walter M. Miller--in
>part. Also Wolfe and LeGuin--although you could argue that LeGuin is
>"post-modernist," if you could ever manage to define that literary tradition
>precisely enough to use it as a label).

Ahem. This is not entirely unbroken ground. You might glance at, say,
Teresa Ebert, Fred Jameson, Vivian Sobchack, Brian McHale's POSTMODERNIST
FICTION or even my own READING BY STARLIGHT: POSTMODERN SCIENCE FICTION.

>Specifically, a modernist narration is one that examines the nature of our
>perception of reality.

And, in the McHale tradition, a postmodernist narration is one that
examines the reality of our
reality, so to speak.

I'm inclined to regard Gene Wolfe's central affiliation as modernist, FWIW.

And I'm loving this discussion...

Damien Broderick