From: Jeremy Crampton <jcrampto@gmu.edu>
Subject: (urth) TBoTNS as Science and fantasy
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 19:42:27

There's a section in the text which I think of in reference to the science
vs. fantasy nature of TBoTNS:

Citadel Chapter 17 "Ragnorok The Final Winter", Ash is speaking:

"The distinction you mention no longer holds. Religion and science have
always been matters of faith in something. It is the same something. You
are yourself what you call a man of science, so I talk science to you. If
Mannea were here with her priestesses, I would talk differently".

Although I don't necessarily agree with all these comments it does have the
useful aspect that it involves the reader in the process, rather than just
saying something "is" or "is not."

Many years ago Tim Maroney brought all this up on sf-lovers, namely that
TBoTNS was fantasy because "if Severian put his arm into a rainbow and
pulled out a butterfly, no-one would be surprised."
__
Jeremy W. Crampton		         http://geog.gmu.edu    jcrampto@gmu.edu
Dept. of Geography & Earth Science
[MS 1E2]				’Tis true; there’s magic in the web of it.
George Mason University					--Othello (III.iv.69)
Fairfax, Va 22030