From: Jesper Svedberg <jesper.svedberg@mailbox.swipnet.se>
Subject: (urth) Re: Wolfe and Calvino
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:35:24 +0100

> From: "Thomas Jeenicke" <Thomas_Jeenicke@public.uni-hamburg.de>
> Subject: Wolfe and Calvino
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:21:15 +0100
>
> Alga suggested in the Whorl-list (message dated 18 Feb 20:06:28) that =
> Wolfe could have read Italo Calvino. He might have, but I don't see much =
> evidence. I think (though maybe I don't know Calvino good enoug) that =
> memory per se is not a theme for Calvino, at least not a main theme. =
> Nearest (but still quite different) to Wolfe, in my opinion, seems to be =
> Calvino's labyrinthian novel "Se una notte d' inverno un viaggiatore" =
> (first published 1979 - I don't know if there's an english translation, =
> if so, the title must be something like "When in a night of winter a =
> traveller"), which ends in a library (Borges!).
> The whole topic Wolfe-Borges-Calvino raises one question in me: Is Wolfe =
> a "postmodern" writer? - If that is actually a usefull literary =
> categorie (I'm not sure).

The only thing I've read by Calvino is _The Tree Baron_ (title? the
original was
_Il Barone Rapante_ anyway) and the first few pages of _Invisible
Cities_. I'd say
that Wolfe has more in common with Calvino stylewise than contentwise,
the other
similarity would be that they are both intelligent authors who write
intelectual
novels. Although, after taking a quick look at _Invisible Cities_ I
can't help
wondering if Wolfe has read Calvino, _IC_ had the same sense of wonder
that I got
from reading TBotNS, albeit it seemed even more obscure.

  // Jesper Svedberg