From: Jim Russell <J.A.Russell@exeter.ac.uk>
Subject: (urth) Another tangent
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:21:41 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Still writing my paper for the symposium and another
question has occured to me that I don't really know the
answer to (although I have some ideas).

Basically its this; What would you guys say is GW's
political stance? What is he, where is he coming from?
Obviously he is not particularly left wing ('Particularly'
is probably too tame a word, now that I think about it),
but would you say that he is right, or rebublican or
democrat or what, really?At the moemtn I only really know
what he is against, not what he is for.

Also, how do you feel about the antipathy expressed towards
Vodalus intentions - to send man to the stars again. Is
Vodalus problem that his method is suspect, or is Sev (or
GW himself) being completely negative about man's
technology and space travel? I appreciate the 'bringing
original sin to other worlds' argument, and the 'quest for
balance' reading of the novel (which I tend to agree with),
but nevertheless I find this desire not to succeed or
achieve wierd. I can see that Vodalus intentions inevitably
contradict the idea of acheiving balance between the
natural (mythic, folkloric, etc) and the technological that
Cyraicia talks about, but I am interested in how people
think this works in relation to the rest of the work.

Cheers,
Jim Russell
University of Exeter