From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re:PEACE: The visit to Van Ness
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:19:58

Roy C. Lackey wrote:

> I agree about the "dreamlike quality", but I think an even more telling
> detail in the passage is that when Weer enters the waiting room he sees five
> people, one of whom is himself. This brings to mind the common phenomenon in
> dreams of being both observer and participant.

I had missed that.  The passage reads: "At one-thirty I enter the
Cassionsville and Kanakessee Valley Bank Building through bronze doors,
more bronze doors for the elevator, and a glass door for the waiting
room where five people sit listening to Glinka's _A Life for the Czar_.
They are Margaret Lorn, Ted Singer, Abel Green, and Sherry Gold.  And
me." (3)  I'm not sure whether I'd read it as you do, or read Weer as
jumping ahead in his narrative between the words "and a glass door" and
"where five people sit listening...," so that the end of the sentence
refers to after he enters and sits down.  (If it read "into the waiting
room" instead of "for the waiting room," I would be more certain of your
reading.)  But either way, it's another glitch in his narration of his
visit.

--Adam