From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) PEACE: The visit to Van Ness
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:15:50

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Adam Stephanides wrote:

> > >    "Please, I've got to see the doctor.  I'm dying."
> > >    The nurse: "All these people are ahead of you."
> > >    Ted Singer and Sherry Gold are both obviously much younger than I,
> > > but there is no use arguing with that kind of thing. (4)
> > >
> > > Weer is uncharacteristically obtuse here (I can't recall any similar
> > > instances).

> I was aware of that.  But that obviously isn't what the nurse meant, and
> I read Weer's comment as indicating that he doesn't know that's not what
> she meant.

It's a joke.  It's just not clear whether Weer is making the joke or Wolfe
is.

Or Weer could be just complaining to himself that he, as a dying old
man, should get priority over these hardy youngsters (but there's no use
trying to get people to respect old age these days...)

Or Weer's so preocupied with dying he really takes the nurse to mean the
others are dying ahead of him).

-Rostrum