From: "Tony Ellis" <tony.ellis@futurenet.co.uk>
Subject: (urth) Black beans
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 09:50:19 +0000

Jeff Wilson wrote

> ...Who is
> responsible for putting the black hole in the sun?

Well, not Erebus and co, for a start. Freezing the only element that can
support you into a solid block of ice isn't much of a long-term
strategy. Neither is annihilating the world you want to enslave. In any
case, we're specifically told in UOTNS that by bringing the white
fountain Severian has helped his enemies.

If there's anything in the books to suggest that anyone is responsible
for actually putting the black hole in the sun, I'm not aware of it. I
have to say it would considerably weaken the whole premise of the books
if there were.
--
Tony Ellis
On-line Editor, PC Format magazine