From: William Ansley <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: (urth) Gene, meet Geoffrey. Oh, you already know each other.
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 00:35:27

I have just finished listening to a series of taped lectures called
_The Life and Writings of Geoffrey Chaucer_*. Somewhere in this
series, the lecturer talks about how Chaucer inserts himself as a
character, the narrator, in _The Canterbury Tales_. He questions how
much we should believe the narrator and says, "Chaucer may be the
first unreliable narrator in English literature." This gave me quite
a start.

Well, well. Wolfe has an even longer and more distinguished literary
legacy than I realized.

William Ansley

*These lectures were given by Professor Seth Lerer and published by
The Teaching Company <http://www.teachco.com/>. I thought they were
quite good, but I had a humanities deprived education. I don't know
how much they would have to offer to someone who had already taken a
course on Chaucer.