From: gac@cs.duke.edu
Subject: (whorl) The Whorl and Operation ARES
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 13:11:04

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Has anyone noticed a striking similarity between Wolfe's first
work, _Operation ARES_ and his most recent, _Exodus from the Long
Sun_?  (Or, really, the last two books of the Long Sun series).

In both books, the main character is a teacher who is unwillingly
drawn into a rebellion against the tyrannical government.  He is
identified by the government as the leader of the rebellion,
despite his denials.

In both books, outside invaders (the Chinese, the Trivigauntis) assist
the rebels, but in the process, end up ruling.

The similarity struck me when Silk delivers his Second Amendment speech
to one of the Councilors (Loris?  Potto?);  John from Operation ARES
had delivered almost the identical sentiment.

We might draw some conclusions as to Wolfe's politics.

Geoff

Questions or problems to whorl-owner@lists.best.com

<--prev V1 next-->