From: "Fernando Q. Gouvea" <fqgouvea@colby.edu>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Finding the Wolf(e)
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 09:18:30

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

I first found out about Wolfe from Algis Budrys' review of *The Claw of the
Conciliator*. It was such a rave, that I decided I had to find those books
and read them. But since I was living in Brazil, that wasn't easy to do!
While I was looking for a way to get the New Sun books (the SF Book Club
eventually obliged), I found *The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories
and other stories*. I remember I read it when I was home sick for several
days in a row, one enormous rush through all those amazing stories. And I
fell in love. Later, I discovered I owned a copy of *Fifth Head of
Cerberus*, which I had bought much earlier for obscure reasons. I only read
it after I'd read the New Sun books; by then, I knew what Wolfe was about,
and greatly enjoyed it.

I read lots of sf, though these days I always get the feeling that the sf I
like is a minority taste... I read Connie Willis, Howard Waldrop, Kate
Wilhelm, Kim Stanley Robinson, Iain Banks, some others. In some moods, I
like "hard sf" a la Niven or Forward. I read lots of short stories. Beyond
sf, I read Christian theology, history of mathematics, some literary
fiction, a few mysteries, and the occasional strange book that doesn't fit
any categories.

One of the things I like in Wolfe is the multi-level structure of his
work. One can enjoy the ride without plumbing the depths, or one can spend
lots of time exploring, like we do here. I think I've read everything he's
written except for Operation Ares and some of the Cheap Street stuff (which
I can't afford!).

--

Fernando Q. Gouvea
Chair, Dept. of Math & CS		Editor, MAA Online

Heavy, adj.:
	Seduced by the chocolate side of the force.

Questions or problems to whorl-owner@lists.best.com

<--prev V3 next-->