From: Patri10629@aol.com
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v006.n009
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:18:10

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

In a message dated 6/22/97 4:04:58 PM, Alga wrote:

<< Furthermore, I think we're far from the end of Silk's
story, and I think those super-taluses that puzzle Patrick are going to
figure significantly in the next book (otherwise--Patrick is right---the
chapter is far too long and detailed)>>

Agree with Alga.

Philadelphia Is scary.

No. Actually, the taluses figuring in the short sun books is the only
justification that I can imagine for that chapter, which does seem like
cheating. I expect Gene to disabuse us of our density, tho. "What? You didn't
catch the 18 levels of Nordic mythlogy not to mention the embedded iambics in
Oreb's dialogue which clearly reveals his cacogenic nature? I thought it was
obvious." Or something like that.

Also agree that while Silk and Severian are not Christians, they are Christ
figures. Not allegory, of course. But forms of the Outsider. Here's a weird
thought: Is the Outsider a Christian figure? Can of worms, that.

Have I missed something or has the theory been nixed that there are links
between The Long Sun Blue and Green planets and Ste. Anne and Ste. Croix in
THE FIFTH HEAD OF CERBERUS. I'm rereading it and finding some odd
corespondences.

best

Patrick

<--prev V6 next-->