From: Patri10629@aol.com
Subject: Re: (whorl) Buried Alive--the secret?
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 08:25:13 EDT

Thanks to Alga & Mantis for their input--always a pleasure...but...

In a message dated 10/3/99 10:37:33 PM, akt@attglobal.net writes:

<< The secret he has learned from Krait is how *not* to kill an inhumu while
giving the
appearance of doing so. >>

I'm going to have to disagree with the learned Alga.

Doesn't Horn say the The Secret was one that could destroy the Inhumi?
Pretty sure he does, though I can't find the reference:(

Obviously, burying the suckers alive doesn't destroy them.

Isn't it more likely that Horn simply used the ignorant and ineffective
cultural capital punishment of his Kingdom
to his advantage when he felt his "adopted" country threatened? This serves
two purposes: provides a distraction while he escapes and turns the tide of
the battle.

Alga writes:

>>...How would he possibly know how to do this, and to plan it so far in
advance, without
help? That is why I think this knowledge (and possibly advice too) is Krait's
secret.<<

Isn't it more likely that this "buried alive and the captor bargaining for an
oath of loyalty" perfectly mirrors
Horn's horrible experience in the pit with Krait? It worked then. He just
reversed the predicament.
Sweet justice.

I suspect that, after OBW, we don't yet have enough evidence to deduct the
Secret.

best,

Patrick O'leary