From: Dan Rabin <danrabin@a.crl.com>
Subject: (whorl) A tidbit from _Lake of the Long Sun_
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 21:22:49

On pp. 169-170 (US hardcover) of _Lake_, Silk is telling Oreb how augurs
are chosen (they figuratively sail past Scylla, who takes them): "... That
is why artists show her [Scylla] with many long arms like whips.  She
snatched me up with one, you see."

And on p. 192, most memorably, an image of Scylla snatches him up with a
long arm like a whip.

"Generous Gene, clever foreshadowing is yours, and metaphor and simile.  I
search for ways in which I may have displeased you, and I find this:  I
often miss your carefully crafted details even after many rereadings.
Grant it to me to read with greater attention!  My purchase of your first
editions shall be yours, Generous Gene!" :-)

  -- Dan Rabin