From: "Roberson, John" <RobersonJ@bek.com>
Subject: (whorl) RE: Digest whorl.v010.n043
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 07:48:27

Fellow Wolfeans:

I'm new to the Whorl and would like to discuss OBW, but don't know whether
everyone has read it yet, so SPOILER WARNING regarding the questions below.

Once again, Gene is playing identity games with us regarding Horn.  Yes,
he's definitely been back to the Long Sun Whorl after being hijacked to
Green and my impression is, as a reminiescing narrator from the future,
looking back, he'll lead us through his adventures on Green in IGJ and then
write about his one-and-only trip back to the Whorl in RTTW.  He's dropped
the hint in OBW to the effect that a surgeon talked about "Pas-silk",
intimating that Silk's physical body had Pas' (Typhon program's) head
grafted on it in the "real world" during his stay on the LS Whorl.  He also
mentioned that he was pretty sure Silk was scanned into mainframe and
potentially merged with the Pas program as Kypris suggested, in the "virtual
world".  Horn also affects Silk's attitudes frequently, dresses in augur's
robes, and is apparently mistaken for Silk by Oreb and occasionally refers
to himself as though he's Silk.  So...I get the dfistinct impression that,
unable to leave the LS Whorl, the Silk program had Horn look into the
monitor at it and transferred some of Silk's essence into him, "possessing"
him to the extent of giving him some of Silk's identity.  This would be the
only way Silk could provide New Viron and Blue with his leadership (or the
leadership of someone possessing---no pun intended---similar abilities)
without actually leaving the LS Whorl.  This would explain Horn's