From: "Alice Turner" <pei047@attglobal.net>
Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n124
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:31:04

> Aha.  I ruled out Crane because I thought you were speaking more
> generally--his -initial- meeting with Silk is "accidental" (as
> accidental as anything is--the theme of prophecy*, all true, I'm
> beginning to think, runs even stronger in LS than in NS), but after
> that he certainly does manipulate things and is behind the political
> events.  I can post my version of the evidence for this if anybody
> isn't convinced, although I thought that part was common agreement
> on the list.

Yes, the initial meeting is accidental. But you have to assume that
Trivigaunte was looking for a candidate to set up as a puppet in a coup
d'etat in Viron, and just about as soon as Crane clapped eyes on Silk he
thought he'd found just the guy to back: personable, easy to manipulate
(so he thinks), well-liked and with a lot of hard-to-put-your-finger-on
charisma. Crane doesn't know that Silk is "special" or about the
Outsider, but since Crane doesn't believe in the gods, that wouldn't
matter to him. Wolfe lets you know that he's up to something: he writes
a secret dispatch in very CIA style almost immediately, but of course we
can't figure out just what he's up to until several books later. No, I
don't think there's common agreement on this, though.

> Can I remain a bright young thing five years from now when
> I'm STILL a grad student?

Sure. Hasn't the truth made you free? What are you studying, anyway?

-alga