From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Silk's body or another?
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 23:29:04

Fernando Q. Gouvea wrote:

> Could someone cite chapter and verse about this business of a physical
> description of Silk being circulated by Horn? I just reread OBW, and didn't
> find it. It's always possible I was momentarily distracted, but I think the
> closest passage is this, on page 18:
>
> "Silk may be here on Blue already, after all. I have dispatched letters to
> Han and some other towns, and we will see. It is convenient, I find, to
> have messengers at one's beck and call."
>
> ...and so on. Nothing here about a physical description, though he says

I think I'm the one who started the "physical description" bit, and
since the passage you quote is the one I was thinking of, I was
evidently wrong.  What happened, I think, was that I originally reasoned
that if Silk were on Blue, he would be trying to stay hidden (otherwise
he would be known already), and so the only way Horn could find him
would be through a physical description.  Then, not having a copy of OBW
with me, I misremembered this as Horn explicitly mentioning a physical
description.

But the broader mystery remains, and is even sharpened by IGJ: if
mantis's interpretation of the spirit-transference scene is correct--and
I believe it is--and if Horn knows it's in Silk's body that he was
placed, then he shouldn't be hoping to find Silk on Blue, in any body.
Of course, something may have happened on the Whorl that we don't know
about to change that.

--Adam