From: jclute@cix.compulink.co.uk (John Clute)
Subject: Re: (whorl) Neighbor + Inhumu + One?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:19 +0100 (BST)

Nutria:
        To speak very broadly indeed, which I think is sometimes necessary
with Wolfe, it does strike me that the tonus (as distinguished from the
intellectual doctrinal structuring) of Wolfe's major works is anything but
Christian. Except maybe in certain parts of the book we are now
considering, the melacholia is profound: _In Blue's Waters_ , and many of
the later stories, are acts of heroism (it seems) against a very deep
sadness, which Christians (and others) might put a term to. I myself would
tend to cod gnosticism here: it feels like the occlusion or bondage of the
blinding world, to me.
        We may see _Return to the Whorl_ continue the transformations of
tonus audible (I think) in the current book; but I wouldn't exactly bet on
a triumph of THE comedy.
        But this is a topic without closure. And premature at this point,
though it is the sort of consideration all the decipherments must be a
road to.
        (I've just now noticed a later message from you which makes it
very clear you have some broadly similar thoughts about the subordination
of all schemas (even those we can legitimately pin on Wolfe himself) to
the summae which is the felt work of art, sort of thing.)

Best,
John C