From: Dan Schmidt <dfan@harmonixmusic.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) [big spoiler] Narrative technique in _Return_, and trilogity
Date: 08 Feb 2001 14:29:26

Adam Stephanides <adamsteph@earthlink.net> writes:

| on 2/8/01 5:21 PM, Dan Schmidt at dfan@harmonixmusic.com wrote:
|
| > Adam Stephanides <adamsteph@earthlink.net> writes:
| >
| > | Not quite.  The third-person sections are not written by the
| > | Homecoming-protagonist, but by the editors of BoTSS, Hoof, Hide
| > | and their wives, as stated in the Afterword.
| >
| > I thought the Afterword said that they only wrote the last couple of
| > Whorl chapters (after Horn stopped writing).
|
| No: the editors write: "He [the protagonist] left us no written record of
| his brief sojourns in Old Viron and the West Pole, but he spoke of them
| often.  In this volume we have re-created them to the best of our ability,
| based upon these conversations." (p. 409)

OK, we're remembering the same text, but interpreting it differently.
I took that to mean that he did write about his earlier time in the
Whorl (e.g., meeting Pig and Hound) but the editors picked it up after
he arrived in Old Viron.  Otherwise I would have expected them to
write 'the Whorl' rather than 'Old Viron and the West Pole'.

--
http://www.dfan.org