From: "Fernando Q. Gouvea" <fqgouvea@colby.edu>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: teleporting inhumu
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 09:16:17

**** On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:56:49 -0500, "Robert Borski" <rborski@charter.net> said:

RB> Also: isn't the ring Oreb brings back a different ring? And as far as
RB> this being the instigator of Horn's astral travels, he's given the
RB> original ring early on by Seawrack, but despite access to an inhumu
RB> (Krait), never does any astral traveling. If you wish to argue this is
RB> because he has not been transformed by the Neighbors yet, why given him
RB> the ring in the first place--since it's unlikely the Neighbors know
RB> Horn will eventually be uploaded in Silk's body?

I'm not convinced the ring has anything to do with it either, but as to
Horn not engaging in astral travel: isn't there a sequence, when Horn is in
the pit, in which he suddenly finds himself back on the island with Nettle?
I don't have the book here, but if I'm remembering right that looks like a
first astral travel incident, completely involuntary on Horn's
part. Presumably, Krait is nearby at that point.

Fernando Q. Gouvea
Department of Mathematics          Editor, FOCUS and MAA Online
Colby College                      Mathematical Association of America
Waterville, ME 04901               http://www.maa.org

No one gets too old to learn a new way of being stupid.