From: "Josh Levitan" <josh_levitan@hotmail.com>
Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v012.n146
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:41:53

----- Original Message -----
From: <whorl-errors@lists1.ba.best.com>
To: <whorl@lists1.ba.best.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 8:34 AM
Subject: Digest whorl.v012.n146

> [...]
> written by the narrator Horn, and that these chapters were cobbled
together
> by the editors (all born on Blue; two of them, Hoof and Hide, raised
> on/with/through TBOTLS).
>

> Now then, the editors Hoof and Hide.  They are intimately connected to
> TBOTLS, but not as primary creators.  They are immersed in the matter; it
> is in their mother's milk, if you like.  They are so steeped in the stuff
> that I liken them to "fans," even though they did not voluntarily get into
> it (and fandom is voluntary, ain't it?).  Because of their unique
position,
> they are compelled to step up to the bat and take a wack at completing the
> manuscript--and they do.
>
> When H & H write about The Whorl, we know fully that they have never been
> there themselves, but ah--they =have= been there through the text of
> TBOTLS, just as we fans have.  So again, H & H are equal to us readers in
> not knowing The Whorl at first hand and not knowing Silk at first hand.
>
> So the writing by H & H, while buttressed by interviews, snatches of
> conversation, and editorial consensus, amounts to a patch written by fans,
> which is rather like a fan fiction in the broad sense (rather than the
> specific sense of "slash" or "Mary Sue").  Now their wives are not likely
> to be as steeped as the twins are, but they nonetheless have an influence
> on the shaping of TBOTSS, and since they don't have so many memories of
the
> people involved, their source of inspiration will be TBOTLS.
>
> TBOTSS is, therefore, part secondary creation--again, rather like fanfic
in
> the broad sense.  It is largely based upon characters and settings
depicted
> in TBOTLS.  Neither Horn, nor Nettle, nor even Silk is around to help them
> in this: nobody involved in the primary creation (TBOTLS) is available.
> All they have is their memory and the text of TBOTLS.
>
> =mantis=
>

> Sirius Fiction
> Has Moved To
> http://www.siriusfiction.com/
>

> --------------- MESSAGE whorl.v012.n146.6 ---------------
>
> From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph@earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: Fan fic Fooey?  Fooey
> Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:46:58 -0500
>
> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
>
> > Okay, I'm not a
> > libel lawyer, but there's a _reason_ for all those "no
> > resemblance to any person living or dead" disclaimers you read
> > in the front of books, and there's no way any of those Nsync
> > fans could claim that their fictional characters bore no
> > resemblance to the real bandmembers. Oy, whatever.
>
> Just as a digression, I've always wondered whether those really do any
good.
> A lot of books with such disclaimers contain charaters whose "resemblance
> persons living or dead" is more than coincidental; and in the one case
I've

www.siriusfiction.com,
> www.siriusbooks.com (whose web site shows only a CGI directory,
inaccessible),
> www.sirius-books.com, and the Sirius Book Company who published some of
Keith

Kevin J. Maroney wrote:

> At 05:26 PM 6/20/01 -0700, Mantis wrote:
> >So the writing by H & H, while buttressed by interviews, snatches of
> >conversation, and editorial consensus, amounts to a patch written by
fans,
> >which is rather like a fan fiction in the broad sense (rather than the
> >specific sense of "slash" or "Mary Sue").
>
> "Fanfic" is not the same thing as "fiction written by fans"; "fan" is not
> the same thing as "admirer of"; "biography" is not the same as "fiction".

While TBOTSS is not wholly written by its "author," it shouldn't be
considered fan fic.  Unless you consider works like Kafka's "The Trial" to
be fan fiction.  Or a celebrity "auto"biography that's ghostwritten, for
example.  I think those are more analogous than what's generally regarded as
fan fiction. It's more a case of the editors wanting to flesh something out,
and, in the absence of the original author (for many bizarre reasons), they
do it themselves.

Narwhal