From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@crossover.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Coover
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:52:45

Coover is an amazing genius; _The Public Burning_ is one of the Great
American Novels.

At 10:19 AM 1/27/99 -0500, Alex wrote:
>	We should also throw in works used in Wolfe stories, such as "Mary
>Rose" and the Vidal play (can't recall the title) from SEVEN AMERICAN NIGHTS.

_Visit to a Small Planet_.

Incidentally, while doing some background research for a piece we ran on
"Seven American Nights" a couple of years back, we at NYRSF redisovered
something which John Kessel had first pointed out to me back in 1986:
Vidal's play, as published, does not match up with the play as presented in
"Seven American Nights".

We were not able to determine if the differences could be traced to the
(known) multiple versions of the screenplay--there were at least two and
possibly three significantly different versions (two different televised
versions, neither of which seems to be identical to the version published
in book form). It is possible Wolfe based his version on one of the
televised versions, or it is possible that the text "drifted" between now
and the future of "Seven American Nights".

--
   Kevin Maroney | Crossover Technologies
   kmaroney@crossover.com | (212) 777-1190